Department of Meteorology (DM)
Department of Meteorology (DM) is a basic Research Unit of the Institute of Geosciences (IGEO) under the Polytechnic University of Tirana (PUT), based on the order No.371, date 28.7.2011 on the establishment of the ex-Institute of Geosciences, Energy, Water and Environment (IGEWE), issued by the ex-Ministry of Education and Science, the present Institute of Geosciences (IGEO); Law No. 80, date 22.07.2015 “For the Higher Education and Scientific Research in the Republic of Albania” and relevant bylaws in its implementation, especially the Statute of the Polytechnic University of Tirana (PUT), as approved by the order No. 10, date 11.01.2019, of the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports, as well as on the internal regulatory acts, which operate on the basis of:
- Building, operation, and maintenance of the national network of meteorological stations;
- Measurements and observations of meteorological elements and phenomena at the stations located in the field;
- Informing the competent central and local institutions in real time about forecasting and warning of weather and meteorological phenomena at the national level;
- Determination of detailed rules and procedures for the organization and operation of the Department of Meteorology.
- Organization, management, administration, and quality assurance of the research and academic work of the Department of Meteorology.
The Department of Meteorology (DM), as one of the main basic scientific units of the Institute of Geosciences (IGEO) at the Polytechnic University of Tirana (UPT), has as its mission to maintain and continuously improve in quantity and quality a modern National Meteorological Monitoring System in accordance with international standards.
Also, its mission is to process information and prepare products through the application of contemporary scientific methodologies, which are relevant to the sustainable development and security of the country as well as increasing the welfare of society;
having a special concern for the qualification of the staff and encouraging research and teaching in the field of meteorology, etc.
The vision of the Department of Meteorology (DM) is to provide services of excellence and conduct scientific research studies in the field of meteorology. For this reason, the Department of Meteorology has the following main goals:
- to inform in real time and with quality in the areas it covers in order to exert influence for positive development of the country and the region;
- to promote the exchange of information inside and outside the country while fulfilling the obligations that our country has in this area (international obligations);
- to promote activities in the field of operational meteorology and strengthen institutional cooperation by certifying or supporting meteorological services within the country or increasing cooperation with countries in the region;
- to encourage research, innovation and teaching in the field of meteorology and climatology, etc., as possible in related fields and to coordinate international aspects of research and training.
- To keep the National Meteorological MonitoringNMMS) in a functional state, improving and optimizing it by increasing the number of measuring points towards the optimal one; increasing the number of monitored elements to provide quality, reliable and real-time products; as well as necessary, both for the assessment of civil emergency situations and for the assessment of climate resource assets, necessary for a sustainable and progressive development of the country and improving the welfare of society.
- To carry out general and applied studies in the directions defined in Article 3.
- To provide observations in time and space in accordance with international standards, calibrated and meeting the criteria of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), providing and their periodic publications.
- Design and maintenance of an integrated environmental monitoring system for water, air and soil erosion.
- To inform, in case of extreme weather events, the relevant organizations and the public with official communiques from the responsible authorities.