Department of Seismology (DS)
Department of Seismology (DS) is a basic Research Unit of the Institute of Geosciences (IGEO) under the Polytechnic University of Tirana (PUT), based on the order No.371, date 28.7.2011 on the establishment of the ex-Institute of Geosciences, Energy, Water and Environment (IGEWE), issued by the ex-Ministry of Education and Science, the present Institute of Geosciences (IGEO); Law No. 85, date 22.07.2015 “For the Higher Education and Scientific Research in the Republic of Albania” and relevant by-laws in its implementation, especially the Statute of the Polytechnic University of Tirana (PUT), as approved by the order No. 10, date 11.01.2019, of the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports, as well as on the internal regulatory acts, which:
- Continously Monitor and Record the Seismic Activity in Albania and surrounding;
- Operate and administers the Albania National Seismic Network (ANSN);
- Guaranty real time Earthquake Information dissemination and support the activities of the National Agency of Civil Protection (NACP) due preparedness, mitigation and response operational and research activities;
- Conduct basic and applied Research in Seismology and Engineering Seismology; - Conduct seismological services for third parties;
It represent the only national infrastructure for earthquake monitoring, seismological research and seismic hazard assessment.
The Department of Seismology (DS), as one of the main basic scientific units of the Institute of Geosciences (IGEO) under the Polytechnic University of Tirana (PUT), seeks to undertake seismological research, seismic hazard assessment and earthquake risk mitigation, by conducting seismic and geodetic instrumental monitoring, providing real time seismological data, earthquakes source parameters determination and earthquake research studies, for earthquakes occurring in Albania and surrounding, keeping earthquake data archive and earthquake information accessible, in the long term.
DS pursues these aims by operating and maintaining a local network of permanent seismic and geodetic stations, facilitating real-time data transfer and data exchange, from this network to IGEO Data Center and to many partner networks, providing a FAIR archive for seismological data. DS curates also data from temporary seismic stations and possible temporary seismic experiments carried out by scientists at DS and/or international partners, thereby fostering also cooperation and encouraging the full exploitation of local seismic data and serving as the permanent archive for the Institute of Geosciences (IGEO) and other collaborating regional and international seismological Data NODES.
Using real-time data streams in combination with automatic and ofline processing, DS provides rapid automatic earthquake parametric information to the National Agency of Civil Protection (NACP) and other partner organizations involved in rescue operations, news media, the general public and to the Scientific Community. DS earthquake monitoring system acts as key information disseminator to the European-Mediterranean Seismological Centre (EMSC), International Seismological Centre (ISC), to which it contributes its parametric data.
DS conducts field measurements, microzonation studies and site-specific studies, within the framework of applied and Engineering Seismology, providing also services to the private community and various national and international institutions.
The mission of understanding the earthquake source processes and their effects through earthquake monitoring and seismological research, aims to invest in an earthquake-safe society.
DS vision is to work towards creating a seismic resilient society, by:
- Conducting essential research on earthquakes while collecting and delivering high quality geophysical data.
- Providing robust earthquake and hazard information to the public and governmental authorities, in collaboration with our international partners.
- Operate, maintain and administer the Albanian National Seismological Network (ANSN);
- Monitor, record and archive earthquakes, contributing to the Albanian National Seismological Data Center;
- Continuosly conduct operational activities to support National Agency of Civil Protection (NACP) and other relevant institutions, provide real time information on felt earthquakes and disseminate relevant information to the media and general public;
- Exchange earthquake data with homologuos seismological institutions and international Data Centers;
- Process earthquake data, locate earthquakes, compute seismic source parameters and publish seismic bulletines and earthquake catalogues;
- Collect and process macroseismic data on felt earthquakes and produce Macroseismic Intensity and Shake Maps;
- Issue and implement national/international research projects in the field of seismology;