Director of Institute of Geosciences.
The institute of Geosciences (IGEO)
IGEO, ex-Institute of Geosciences, Energy, Water and Environment (IGEWE), represents one of the main Units of the Polytechnic University of Tirana (PUT), ascociated to this institution of higher education based on the Decree of the Council of Ministers no. 560, date 22.08.2007, Decree no. 561, date 22.08.2007, and on the Verdict no. 371, date 28.07.2011, of the ex-Ministry of the Education and Science of Albania (MESA). As an unique national reasearch institute in the field of Geosciences, it was created by the ascociation of the two ex-research institutes, namely ex-Institute of Geosciences (IGEO) and ex-Institute of Energy, Water and Environment (INEWE).
By the verdict no. 36, date 27.07.2021, of the Academic Senate of the Polytechnic Univeristy of Tirana (AS-PUT), the ex-Institute of Geosciences, Energy, Water and Environment (IGEWE) became the “Institute of Geosciences IGEO”. Two of the four Department’s name were also changed based on Verdict no.36, date 27.07.2021.
Mission of the Institute of Geosciences (IGEO):
- To conduct basic and applied scientific research in the fields of Geology, Hydrology, Meteorology and Seismology;
- To contribute through the monitoring, forecasting and scientific research in the field of natural geological and hydro-meteorological hazards, as a support to the civil protection structures, national security and the sustainable development of the country
- To contribute to the in-depth high education and the qualification of young researchers through the knowledge and technology transfer, within the responsible fields of research.
Main objectives of IGEO to accomplish its Mission:
- Permanent seismological, hydrological and meteorological monitoring, through the three national monitoring networks, location and evaluation of earthquakes and additional geological phenomena, extreem meteorological event forecasting and floods, and the information dissemination to the responsible institutions and to the public
- Sustainalbe administration, maintanance and modernization of the monitoring networks, as well as the generation, update and security of the national data archive of the corresponging fields of responsibility
- Study and determination of the seismic hazard, hydrological hazard and climate changes, conduction of general and applied studies, as well as academic activities to support the knowledge transfer in the corresponding fields of responsibility
- Expertizes and services based on the physical and legal entity request, inside the country and/or abroad, in the covered fields of expertize
- Institutional collaboration with partners inside the country and abroad, within the determined legal contraints, as well as by mean of the Memorandums of Understanding (MoU), based on bilateral and multilateral cooperation
IGEO owns and operate the national Seismic, Hydrological and Meteorological Network.
IGEO owns and uses the national data archive of seismology, meteorology and hydrology, both analogues and digital formats, to accomplish the operational and strategical support towards civil protection structures, as well as to support the scientific research and academic activities. Institute is responsible to generate, update, modernize and secure the national data archive.